[pcmcia] ".unconfigured" kills `depmod -a'.

 There is a file ".unconfigured" in the PCMCIA modules directory that
 causes `depmod -a' to fail, and thus the `modconf' to fail.  Who is
 responsible for that file being in there?

 This is where the `Cannot read ELF header' messages is coming from.
 I came across this information in a HOWTO about setting up multiple
 ethernet cards &c.  It says that `depmod' used to work with non ELF
 files under the modules directory, but now it will not tolerate them,
 and will print the infamous error.  It does not finish building the
 "modules.dep" file either, apparently.  It ought to print that only
 as a warning, on stderr, I think, and continue.  Someone ought to fix
 this for `potato', IMO.  I leave it to the `modconf' maintainer,
 while I work on the archive filesystem layout thing.

 `modconf' doesn't work right either.  I tried to use it to insert
 some ethernet drivers in a box I just built, and it failed with a
 "device or resource busy" message.  I went to vt2, and ran `depmod
 -a'.  It printed the "cannot read ELF header" message, so I went into
 /lib/modules/2.2.14/ and removed pcmcia/.unconfigured, then ran
 `depmod -a' again.  IIRC, this time I got a bunch of unresolved
 symbol errors.  It may be that the pcmcia modules package I made
 didn't really match the kernel-image package I made after
 all... (probably).

 Anyway, after that I `rm -rf pcmcia' and ran `depmod -a' agian, then
 switched back to vt1 and selected "Configure modules" again.  It
 failed again with the same error, "device or resource busy".  I
 switched back to vt2, and ran `modprobe ne', and got the same error
 again.  (I think I had to use `dmesg' to read the error.)  Now I ran
 `modprobe ne io=0x300 irq=10', and it worked.  I had used the same
 arguments in `modconf', so all of this leads me to believe that
 `modconf' is NOT passing the arguments entered in the dialog box on
 to the `modprobe' command it ostensibly executes.  I have NOT looked
 to see for myself yet.

 After rebooting, I got the infamous `kbd -> console-tools' errors
 that are likely already fixed if I make a newer build...  No big deal
 then.

 The modutils/ and modules stuff was NOT set up right; I had to edit
 it by hand.  Here's what I'd like `modconf' to do to make the
 configuration that I did by hand.

 I want it to know that this is an ethernet driver, and that the
 arguments I give in the dialog need to be written out to
 "/target/etc/modutils/$driver_name" as an "options $driver_name ..."
 line.  Then I want it to write a file called
 "/target/etc/modutils/ethernet-aliases", and put "alias eth0
 $driver_name" in there.  If I configure a second ethernet card by
 inserting another module, I want it to alias that one to "eth1", &c.
 In "/etc/modules", it should put a line in for "eth0", calling it by
 the alias, rather than by the $driver_name.  After it finishes, it
 needs to call on `update-modules' to build the "/etc/modules.conf"
 file.

 "Configure the Network" already asks you which interface to
 configure, I found.  I don't think it loops for the second
 interface... (cannot recall if it did.)  It ought to, just as a
 convienience.