Re: HD space for install

Bruce Sass <bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> writes:

> > Can you check the memory requirement for potato ?
>
> I had planned to... do you know of a more efficient way to do it (aside
> from modifying the gunzip code in bf to log /proc/meminfo just after
> the the archive is extracted but before it is written to the HD)?
>
> What is really needed is a modified bf system that runs df and checks
> /proc/meminfo at key times during an install...

No, the reason why this won't work is that dpkg will actually behave
differently based on how much RAM is available.

The only way to really know is to use a system like vmware, where you
can manipulate the values of available memory and just test it out.

AFAIK, the biggest RAM hit is at a specific point -- when base-config
runs tasksel which runs apt-get which is running dpkg, which is
running postinst scripts.  There's no way our code could automatically
checkpoint this moment, really.