Re: Static network configuration

Stefan Gybas <stefan@gybas.com> wrote:

> This can easily be done in netconf, however I don't use PCMCIA. The
> /etc/network/interfaces file in netbase contains these comments:

    [ script using ifup/ifdown omitted ]

> Can the required changes be made to /etc/pcmcia/network? If yes,
> I can change netconf to always write the network configuration to
> /etc/network/ interfaces (also in case of DHCP/BOOTP).

Hmm... let's see.  You want me to change Debian's PCMCIA packages to use
ifup and ifdown, a program that is NOT documented (there is no manpage;
the changelog says to refer to the source) and whose own configuration
file (/etc/network/interfaces from version 3.16-8) says the following:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
#
#
# !!!NOTE!!! THIS IS AN ALPHA RELEASE! DO NOT RELY ON IT!
#
# Consider this the first draft of what I think the proper way to
# configure interfaces is. It makes use of programs like ifconfig(8)
# and dhcpcd(8), and can be called from /etc/init.d/networking,
# /etc/pcmcia/network or the command line. It can configure and
# deconfigure interfaces. In controlled environments it even works.
# It's *very* subject to change, however. Some of the compulsory
# options will become optional. Some of the optional ones might
# become compulsory. Syntax might change. Features might disappear.
# Bugs might disappear. The examples below are reasonably likely
# to remain more or less correct. Maybe.
#                                         -- ajt@debian.org

Nope.  I don't think so.

Brian