Re: An addition to busybox

On Mon Dec 06, 1999 at 02:33:46AM +0300, Michael Sobolev wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 04:23:45PM -0700, Erik Andersen wrote:
> > For the ignorant, what is an acm, and what does one do with one?  Are there
> > source code samples of what you are wanting?
> ACM stands for Application Character Map.  It contains the mapping from 8-bit
> codes into unicode.
>
> console-tools package contains the code that allows to maintain this.  If I understand
> correctly, it is ioctl (PIO_UNISCRNMAP).
>
> At the moment, I am making use of the following command to accomplish correct
> image on the screen:
>
>     consolechars -f font-name -m acm-name
>
> Maybe, there is a simpler way to make the same thing, but this is the way I
> do not know of. :)

Hmm. Lemme ask the mailing list in general for thoughts. My time for
coding is limited, so I want to make the best use of it that I can.

Anybody else on the list familiar with unicode and ACMs? Is a tool
like this needed or wanted for the boot floppies? I know absolutely
nothing about unicode (other than having once use BSTRs with Windows COM
objects back when I still bothered with windows). Would such a tool be a
appropriate addition to busybox, or would just using "consolechars" from
the console-tools package be best?

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/