Re: New style raid support during install (was Re: kernel support, v0.36 v's v0.9)

"Glenn McGrath" <Glenn.McGrath@jcu.edu.au> writes:

> In summery, this is what would need to be done as i see it
>  - the rescue disk would have to be patched with raid v0.90 (2.5KB larger
> bzImage than if no raid support)

Ok -- I'm forwarding this also to the kernel-image maintainer, Herbert
Xu, for comment.  Could this be modularized, btw?

>  - /dev/md? where ?=0,1,2,3 etc would have to be made (if they arent
> already)

This isn't much of a problem, obviously.

>  - binaries from the raidtools2.deb would nned to be in the base.tgz (84KB)

Yikes -- that's a big big problem.  Is there any way we could shrink
this?  Possibly a raidtools2-base package?

>  - The menu system would have to recognise /dev/md0 as a valid target
> partition (if it doesnt already)

Hmm... that's from utilities/dbootstrap/block_device.c I believe.

>  - Check /boot partition isnt on a /dev/md?

Here you're trying to make sure that you have a boot partition which
isn't RAID, since lilo doesn't understand RAID, right?

> If its too late in the development cycle to implement new feature such as
> root raid support then so be it, but it will be good feature to have in
> there, and its something i am quite prepared to spent a lot of time on in
> the coming months (although the next 3 weeks i will be distracted with uni)

Well, if we are freezing now, it is probably too late.  However,
there's no reason why we can't update potato boot-floppies even after
release, i.e., a point release.

I agree this functionality would be very desirable, btw.  We might as
well take whatever steps we can to do this -- are you willing to work
on the boot-floppies source to make it so?