New style raid support during install (was Re: kernel support, v0.36 v's v0.9)

I pretty confident with raid,  but im still finding my way with debian boot
methods (eg dbootstrap), im not a maintainer yet.

This is how as i see it the raid2 process could work in debian

Boot from a kernel patched with raid v0.90 support, size difference?

At the partitioning stage intended raid partitions are marked as type fd
(raid autodetection) with fdisk.
Its important to make sure that the /boot partition isnt on a  raid
partition or lilo will fail and the system will not boot, so it would be
good to be able to check for this.

Once the boot process gets to the stage where its located the base package
has been located the user level raidtools (from the raditools2.deb) can be
extracted, this contains 84KB of binaries. The two important binaries that
need to be run before the raid partition can be used are mkraid and
raidstart.
Once this is done the raid appears as a regular partition and the normal
install process can continue.

In summery, this is what would need to be done as i see it
 - the rescue disk would have to be patched with raid v0.90 (2.5KB larger
bzImage than if no raid support)
 - /dev/md? where ?=0,1,2,3 etc would have to be made (if they arent
already)
 - binaries from the raidtools2.deb would nned to be in the base.tgz (84KB)
 - The menu system would have to recognise /dev/md0 as a valid target
partition (if it doesnt already)
 - Check /boot partition isnt on a /dev/md?

If its too late in the development cycle to implement new feature such as
root raid support then so be it, but it will be good feature to have in
there, and its something i am quite prepared to spent a lot of time on in
the coming months (although the next 3 weeks i will be distracted with uni)

Thanks

Glenn McGrath

P.S. sorry about all the typo's in original post, i should read my emails
before i post them....

Subject: Re: kernel support, v0.36 v's v0.9