populating a generic linux system with debian packages.

My general question is how do I start dpkg services without having
base system installed in the normal way?

Here are some details.  I have created a rudimentary linux system
based on libc 2.1.  Now I want to start filling it with debian
packages using dpkg.  I installed dpkg using its tar form taken
from the experimental directory.  I was able to "install" perl too,
using
dpkg-deb -X.  After successfully installing ldso using dpkg I have
difficulties installing libc6_2.1.2-0pre12.

It complains that dpkg is not recorded as installed (true I have
untarred
it into the system) cannot check for pre-depends support.

Libc pre-depends on ldso which is installed as reported by dpkg -l
ldso\*.

Tanks you.

Eythan Weg