Re: boot-floppies status from an insider (was Re: Deficiencies in Debian)

Marcel Harkema <marcel@debian.org> writes:

>   There is no technical reason to drop 1200k floppy support.  There is also
>   no reason to require 16mb for the potato release.

Yes but lowmem didn't work for slink, properly, and it obviously
doesn't work for potato yet.  Moreover, the only help for lowmem is
for people with < 5MB or maybe < 6MB now, but > 4MB, and it's only
i386.

The whole technique of lowmem was to make a swap partition prior to
know.

I'm just happy to require, uh, 6MB of RAM or so.  (Note, I think TFTP
might require more -- help for that might be found in NFS-swapping --
I'm not even sure if Linux supports that).

Anyhow -- I'd rather just drop it for now.