Re: boot-floppies status from an insider (was Re: Deficiencies in Debian)

Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr> writes:

> Do we still want to support very old hardware, especially low memory system
> (eg. some old sparc, and maybe old 386, 486 as well) ?
> In this case, we need to add a "swap on NFS" patch to the kernel.
> I found one patch for 2.0.35 (sparc) kernel.  And for 2.2, NBD could be used
> along with a patch to the networking subsystem
> (http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/nbd/nbd.html).
> I will try to build bootdisks for sparc based on them.

At this point we are *so* far behind I'd rather just drop old
hardware, or rather, if people wanna work on it and get it going, then
fine, if not, we drop it.  No biggie.

Note that there *do* seem to be people fighting for 5.25" floppy
support yet (which is pretty easy to do I guess).

Lowmem is another story though.  I don't think even the slink
boot-floppies worked right for lowmem, so I would propose to
back-burner that, and if we don't get around to it, so what. :)