Re: dbootstrap, .po for dbootstrap, and other issues

On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 10:04:42PM +0400, Michael Sobolev wrote:

> I have few questions concerning this. :)
>
> The first, what is the current status of dbootstrap?  In other words, what
> version people should work on?  On the one in slink branch?

  You should use the one in the trunk (i.e. don't use -r in checkout command).

  For the record, changes I've done in dbootstrap are (not committed):
    = removed 1440k floppy assumptions, 1200k floppies are supported again
      too
    = window sizing and positioning on larger displays (aka boxes.c hacking)
    = the outstanding grave bug has been fixed, the one about error checking
      during base.tgz installation.  note: there are a lot of other issues
      regarding error checking..

  Non dbootstrap stuff done:
    = [i386] rescue disk has been split in boot and root disks, both 1440k
      and 1200k
    = various minor changes in some scripts and makefiles

  High priority stuff on my todo list:
    = driver floppies (2x 1440k, 3x 1200k)
    = commit my changes :)

  Other items:
    = Tecra floppies are no longer an issue with 2.2 kernels IIRC.
    = I haven't touched the base2_2.tgz construction.

  Since library reduction is still broken for me (also with the new
  mklibs.sh), I am using a non-standard setup (read: no library reduction).

  I am going to test my tree tomorrow on an up-to-date potato box, my home
  box hasn't been updated for a week now.  If it compiles and runs
  out-of-the-box using library reduction, I'll commit my changes.

> The second, what are the requirements for a .po file for dbootstrap?  Should it
> be always complete?  I believe the question is to Adam since he seems to use
> .po files for generating entities for installation manual, but maybe somebody
> else knows?  The reason I am asking is quite simple: it's much easier to check
> the completeness of translation using msgfmt --statistics.

  There should be a mapping from the original text to the translated text I
  think.

  Cheers,

         Marcel