Boot Root Raid

Sorry if this has already been addressed.  I'm new to the list and I
didn't find anything in the archives.

I have a server that has 2 drives that I want to mirror.  I have another
server with 4 drives that I want to stripe.  I would like to use RAID on
the root of both but I don't want to have a partition dedicated to
booting.  I want to boot from a CD so that I can have several copies lying
around in case a drive fails.

I would like to do the following if it's even possible.  I would like to
make a bootable CD that uses initrd.  The temp root would contain a script
that scans /proc for potential root devices including md devices.  It
would then prompt for a root device and then use it to finish loading
Linux.  I would keep a basic root filesystem on the CD with all of the
tools needed to restore from tape - including the md tools.  This would
facilitate creation of RAIDs as well.

Does anyone know if there is even anything in /proc at this point?  Has
this been done already?  Am I missing something?  BTW, what filesystem
does root.bin use?  I had trouble mounting it as a loopback device.

Thanks,

Scott

---
 Scott Patten                                  spatten@wasatch.com