Re: Lothar Project

On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 03:16:32PM +0200, Loic Prylli wrote:

> Stephen Crowley writes:
>  >
>  > > Do kernel hackers seem to like it ? I.e., it's critical to try to
>  > > involve the linux community for wide-scale driver converage.
>  >
>  > Dont know about that, but from what I've seen it looks like they are going
>  > in the wrong direction with their project. Try are trying to implement
>  > something equivalent to the windows Device Manager before taking care of the
>  > lowlevel stuff. One of the first things that should be done is a database of
>  > isapnp->kernel module parameters should be made. Here is what I mean...
>  >

> That is exactly what they are doing in the "detect" library which
> apparently originated in the laetos project (www.lateos.org).
>
> I have tried to install this "detect" component, it provides both a
> library and a command-line tool around it, that allows to dump the
> hardware config.
>
> Of course, one of the critical component of this library is the
> database that links PCI and ISAPNP ids to type of hardware and the
> Linux drivers or X servers, there is also mouse detection code, (which
> maybe a bit less advanced than the one of Ben, I am not sure).  The
> library includes some pnpdump code, and relies on the /proc filesystem
> for the PCI stuff as well as for harddisk information.
>
> In the Lothar "project", they also try to develop a lothar
> "component" which is the high level GUI stuff, and which is not as much
> relevant for us now.
>
> I am not sure how the "detect" library is redundant with the stuff in
> the Redhat installation programs (the Redhat database seems more
> complete for PCI ids). Anyway we certainly need the autodetection
> functionality in Debian.

It's also redundant with the stuff in our own "libfdisk" library, that we
use to detect harddisks and partitions.  We may try to merge our stuff
and theirs, but I would like to know what the kernel gurus think about
that "detect" library. There are a few different implementations of the
same concept (Red Hat's stuff, Tom's PnP tools, this one, ...) but no one
seems to have enough momentum...

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es