Re: Lothar Project

On Sat, Apr 24, 1999 at 07:11:21PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Stephen Crowley <crow@master.debian.org> writes:
>
> > Just saw this on slashdot,
> >
> > http://www.linux-mandrake.com/lothar/
> [...]
>
> > I havent looked at their code yet but it seems like its a very cool project,
> > if we could work with them instead of doing something on our own it would be
> > a lot better.
>
> Hm.... I agree.  Corel in my conversations with them have been
> advocating this sort of thing pretty heavily.  Any corel folks here
> with a POV on Lothar?  Thoughts?
>
> >From my standpoint, the issues are:
>
> Is it GPL?

Yes

> Is it platform-independant?

Seems to be..

> Do kernel hackers seem to like it ? I.e., it's critical to try to
> involve the linux community for wide-scale driver converage.

Dont know about that, but from what I've seen it looks like they are going
in the wrong direction with their project. Try are trying to implement
something equivalent to the windows Device Manager before taking care of the
lowlevel stuff. One of the first things that should be done is a database of
isapnp->kernel module parameters should be made. Here is what I mean...

Here is a isapnp.conf
-------
(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(CONFIGURE HAY5624/280661 (LD 0
(IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x02f8))
(INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))
(NAME "HAY5624/280661[0]{PPI 336 V.34 FDSP                  }")

(CONFIGURE CTL0024/431131 (LD 0
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
(IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
(IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0330))
(IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))
(NAME "CTL0024/431131[0]{Audio               }")

(CONFIGURE CTL0024/431131 (LD 3
(IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x0200))

-----

This would be a isapnp mapping database for the two devices listed.
---------
[vendor]
type = isapnp
id = HAY5624
name = "Hayes"

[vendor]
type = isapnp
id = CTL0024
name = "Creative Labs"

[device]
section = Modems
type = isapnp
desc = "PPI 336 V.34 FDSP"
id = HAY5624/280661
module serial.o io=@IO@{0,0} irq=@INT@{0,0}

[device]
section = Soundcards
type = isapnp
desc = "Awe32"
id = CTL0024/431131
module sb.o io=@IO@{0,0} dma=@DMA@{0,0} dma16=@DMA@{0,1} mpu_io=@IO@{0,1}
module adlib_card.o io=@IO@{0,2}
moduke joystick.o io=@IO@{1,0}
---

e.g. @IO@{0,0} means "First logical device, first IO port"

The same thing could be used for pci too.

sample "00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. 8029"

[device]
section = Network
type = pci
desc = "Realtek 10baseT blah..."
id = 10ec:8029
module ne2k.o

A database like this would compressly nicely with gzip and could fit on the
driver disk. Any thoughts?

--
Stephen Crowley
Debian GNU/Linux - http://www.debian.org