Re: Debian Boot Floppies CVS: boot-floppies dhd

On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 11:35:12PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Drivers that actually provide a truecolor display should map the color
> indexes onto 16-bit or 32-bit quantities through a software colormap.
> I just realized that this will probably require a per-driver-defined
> set_palette function; maybe I'll implement this soon, or you can.

Yes, this is pretty much what I was thinking as well...  I had started to
implement this (such that I had bogl_cfb16_put() working with a software
colormap) but I wanted to see what ideas you had on it before forging ahead.
There was something about emulating a pseudocolor visual that struck me as
being a little strange, but it does seem to be the simplest thing to do.

I'll probably throw in 4bpp packed-pixel support too, since I've got a test
machine for it (this one, in fact - it's rather common on 68k Macs :-)

--
dhd@maclinux.plcom.on.ca (wearing my Linux/m68k+Mac+Debian hat)
  Latest kernels/patches: http://maclinux.plcom.on.ca/pub/