Re: ThinkPad 770

> From: EXT Adam Di Carlo [mailto:aph@debian.org] :
>
> Ok, got it.  Unfortunately, your pcmcia packages aren't compatible
> with the stock kernel, and we can only have one PCMCIA package.

Probably we should change the name of that package, something similar to
the kernel-image name.
We need it, as the stock pcmcia pkg doesn't work with this kernel.

> I note that you built your tpp kernel with APM -- is that necessary?
> That's the symbol that caused problems with loading PCMCIA.

I don't know at all. I used the .config published by the guy who posted
to debian-user some months ago, with minor changes due to new options
in -36 kernel.

> > we need to supply a "TP" version of all
> > (most?) of the kernel images.
>
> No, just 2.0.36 is all we need.

I meant ... all the future pkgs ... each time a new kernel is packaged, as they are not only for installation: we need them to upgrade!

> > Few days ago I hit the problem that
> > an upgrade upgraded also the kernel image, overwriting the TP image
> > installed by the rescue disk.
>
> Um, hum, that would depend on the way you numbered your version.  A
> possible workaround is to distinguish in the version number itself,
> i.e., the package could be kernel-image-2.0.36-tpp rather than
> kernel-image-2.0.36; as a separate package, it wouldn't be upgraded by
> newer kernel-image-2.0.36 packages.

Don't know ... the first installation i made was hacking a rescue with
a new linux image, so probably dpkg were thinking I installed some std
package. Maybe this rescue I prepared tells to dpkg the correct version ...
I really don't know the details on how dpkg get this info th first time.

> > About this I would suggest to create a debian-laptop
> > mailing list where people with different kind of laptops can test
> > these workarounds for some particular problem, to make possible to
> > have "general" solutions instead than lots of peculiarities.
>
> We already have a low-volume APM list that works quite well.  See the
> url for the apmd package, in /usr/doc/apmd/copyright and surf around
> there.

I have to confess I needed to perl into available file to understand the
meaning of APM :-)

What I was thinking is a list highly visible were also laptop users can
be directed and collecting a list of problems/solutions/peculiarities for
each kind of laptop, to help create common solutions that work for most.

Here is what I mean:

For slink Enrique prepared only one set of rescue (no more tecras) because
it seemed that they were no more needed.
Then I step in telling that the rescue doesn't work on a Thinkpad, so the
tecra set re-appeared again. I tested them and i got a different error.
Later I found a solution to the Thinkpad problem.
But now we have the boot disks with the tecra set. Are they really needed?
Who can answer this question?
And if there is someone else that has a laptop that cannot boot from the
normal rescue, does the TP600 set solve his problem or he still needs the tecra set?

Keeping a sort of database of people (friends), laptops, problems and
solutions, we can easily ask the question to the people who can easily
answer (just try to boot...), and decide.
Now instead we have to run in the blind, make a set and wait for complains.

fab