Re: partial success making 2.2.0 boot disks

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 05:53:20PM +0100, Eric Delaunay wrote:
> Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> > In the process of trying to make my own boot disks based on the 2.2.0
> > kernel I've almost succeeded. The boot-floppies package works nicely and
> > produces resc1440.bin et al. When I boot with that disk all goes well
> > until the last moment when the "Next - Color - Monochrome" screen comes
> > up. It displays all right but refuses to respond to my key presses. I
> > can't select "Color" for example (however I can scroll up and down and
> > see kernel messages with SHIFT-PgUp or SHIFT-PgDn). Has anyone
> > encountered that kind of difficulty or might know the cause?
>
> Same problem on sparc :-(
> The workaround is to disable the stderr redirection to a tty
> (stderrToTTY in boxes.c).
> It seems something has changed in i/o handling :(
>
> int stderrToTTY(int tty) {
>         static int fd=-1;
>         char dev[10];
>
>         if (fd > 0)
>                 close(fd);
>         snprintf(dev,10,"/dev/tty%d",tty);
>         if ((fd = open(dev, O_WRONLY|O_NOCTTY)) < 0)
>                 return 1;
>         if (-1 == dup2(fd,2))
>                 return 1;
>         return 0;
> }

This worked fine for me. Thanks to a pointer sent by Julian Bean I was
able to create a 2.2.0 resc1440 and install slink without any problem on
a HP NetServer that would otherwise hang at the AIC-7800 stage with the
2.0.36 based resc1400.

Thanks to all who sent suggestions.

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - mito@aparima.com - http://www.aparima.com

Bill Gates to his broker: "You idiot, I said $150 million on **SNAPPLE**!!!"