Re: (unofficial) Debian packages for Toshiba AC100 (Tegra; armel and armhf)

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 02:22:56PM +0200, Axel Beckert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > I just finished the creation of a repository on people.debian.org
> > that provides the packages needed to run Debian GNU/Linux on the
> > Toshiba AC100 notebook device.
>
> Very cool, thanks!
>
> I'm currently at DebConf with my AC100 (32GB, 3G, WLAN)and I currently
You can be happy, you have 4 times as much storage as I have.

> have Ubuntu Natty running on it (who the fuck had the idea to ship
> that netbook with Android? :-), but really would like to get Debian
> armhf running on it.
>
> Any other AC100 owner at DebConf?

I am NOT there, but let me warn you that web browsing in the GTK+
world on armhf is currently missing JIT-enabled engines. The only
web browsers usable on more JavaScript-intensive sites are Qt ones
such as Arora, and even Arora is pretty slow and crashy. KHTML
browsers might work as well, I did not check it.

Otherwise, the armhf support is as good as armel support, with
the exception of accelerated X which is armel only for now, until
Nvidia releases the drivers for armhf publicly.

Installation guide (all on the device itself):

	(1) Bootstrap Debian on USB stick, SD, or eMMC
	(2) Install busybox and initramfs-tools
	(3) Set MODULES=dep in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
	(4) Copy /boot/bootimg.cfg to Debian and configure cmdline[*]
	(4) (bind) mount /proc and /dev
	(5) Install abootimg flash-kernel linux-image-ac100

Alternatively, you can also do all steps on another machine, reboot
with the Ubuntu kernel into the Debian system and then run flash-kernel
manually to install the Debian kernel.

It's a bit complicated currently, because there's no boot.img available
that you could nvflash to the target device. But that's actually the
most complicated part, the rest is fairly easy.

[*] Future versions of flash-kernel will ignore that file and only
    update kernel and initramfs; and hopefully kernel commandline
    set in /etc/default/flash-kernel or similar [kernel command-line
    stuff not written yet]

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.