Re: (unofficial) Debian packages for Toshiba AC100 (Tegra; armel and armhf)

Hi Julian,

Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 02:22:56PM +0200, Axel Beckert wrote:
> > Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > > I just finished the creation of a repository on people.debian.org
> > > that provides the packages needed to run Debian GNU/Linux on the
> > > Toshiba AC100 notebook device.
> >
> > Very cool, thanks!
> >
> > I'm currently at DebConf with my AC100 (32GB, 3G, WLAN)and I currently
> You can be happy, you have 4 times as much storage as I have.

Yeah, I found out that Switzerland seems to have gotten the *.*
version. (Unfortunately that also means a Swiss keyboard layout. ;-)

> > have Ubuntu Natty running on it (who the fuck had the idea to ship
> > that netbook with Android? :-), but really would like to get Debian
> > armhf running on it.
> >
> > Any other AC100 owner at DebConf?
>
> I am NOT there,

Ok.

> but let me warn you that web browsing in the GTK+ world on armhf is
> currently missing JIT-enabled engines.

I don't care too much about that.

> The only web browsers usable on more JavaScript-intensive sites are
> Qt ones such as Arora, and even Arora is pretty slow and crashy.

Yeah, it's quite crashy on Natty armel, too.

> KHTML browsers might work as well, I did not check it.

Any Non-WebKit browsers? Netsurf? Links2?

> Otherwise, the armhf support is as good as armel support,

That sounds fine. :-)

> with the exception of accelerated X which is armel only for now,
> until Nvidia releases the drivers for armhf publicly.

Non-accelerated X should be fine for now, too.

> Installation guide (all on the device itself):
>
> 	(1) Bootstrap Debian on USB stick, SD, or eMMC
> 	(2) Install busybox and initramfs-tools
> 	(3) Set MODULES=dep in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
> 	(4) Copy /boot/bootimg.cfg to Debian and configure cmdline[*]
> 	(4) (bind) mount /proc and /dev
> 	(5) Install abootimg flash-kernel linux-image-ac100

Thanks! Will probably try that during the next days, i.e. still at
DebConf.

> [*] Future versions of flash-kernel will ignore that file and only
>     update kernel and initramfs; and hopefully kernel commandline
>     set in /etc/default/flash-kernel or similar [kernel command-line
>     stuff not written yet]

Yeah, Hector told me about plans for flash-kernel.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin