Re: Stuck with Nettrom 2.1.16

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 02:49:33PM +0100, Jan Vroonhof wrote:

> How strict is the requirement to upgrade Nettrom on the netwinders?
> One of ours "still"[1] has 2.1.16, but somewhere during the rc scripts
> it kernel panics so I cannot login to reflash it.

Try booting single user, or with init=/bin/bash.  You should be able to
circumvent whatever is failing ,unless the disk is really messed up.

> Footnotes:
> [1]  We even have two that are still on 2.0.4, but at least they boot.

There was a pretty major change to the way the kernel and firmware
interact at firmware version 2.0.6.  Basically to go beyond that,
requires a newer kernel, and vice versa.  So the fact that it works
with 2.0.4 (and presumably an older kernel) doesn't help you much to
boot a recent image.