Re: How big will the 32-bit chroot end up being? What goes in these days?

On 1/23/06, cmetzler@speakeasy.net <cmetzler@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> So, as I understand it, the following stuff would need to go into the
> 32-bit chroot (assuming one wants/needs these things):
>
> - Sun's J2RE
>
> - OpenOffice
>
> - Flash
>
> - RealPlayer/Helix/whatever
>
> - win32codecs + other misc A/V codecs one might scrounge up elsewhere
>
> - Any web browser that you want to be able to use Java/Flash/embedded
> AV stuff in
>
> - the Acrobat Reader
>
> - cdrecord/cdrdao plus whatever front end you're using to call them
>
> Is that correct?  Anything I'm missing?

Don't forget all the dependencies that all pulled in by these apps.
You might end up with nearly a typical Linux installation.

> How much space would all that take?

While you can probably fit it into 1 GB if you have too, I would stay
on the safe side and use at least 4 GB.

> Assuming one were to put the chroot
> in its own partition, how much space should be allocated to that partition?

If you make it a separate partition, I would consider making it a full
Linux installation. That gives you a backup in case something gets
screwed up.

> If you're using an AMD64 desktop, how much space are you using in the
> chroot?

Personally, I don't like having too many partitions around. I have 30
GB for the x64 system, and 120 GB for my data and the i386 system. If
you want to have a bit more orderly, you might use a separate
partition for i386, and another one for swap.

Thomas