Re: Nice server board for AMD64/EM64T?

I would also recommend this board (the K8SR S2881). We have used them in Tyan 1U barebone kits for an asterisk phone server, a mail server, a router and a few other capacities. They are very high quality with no problems. Be forewarned - Opterons utilize ECC +Registered RAM. We bought Kingston 1GB (2x512) kits to use, which also opens up the dual-channel fun. One kit per processor also opens up NUMA so each processor can access RAM directly, though you may not want or need so much RAM.

These boards come with Silicon Image SATA controllers. If you (the original messenger) have a 0.9TB RAID currently, maybe you could migrate to a four disk RAID 5 and save some money and hassle with so many disks and the hardware RAID. I only mention it b/c with up to four processing cores (2x dual core), the disk overhead is potentially a very minimal portion of your overall processing power. Throw in that RAID card only if you need to later.

In terms of a good RAID card to use, I have had success using the very new Tekram/Areca cards. Very high quality, PCIe or PCI-X, but expensive. Or you could cheap out and get a Promise SX8 (PCI-X) and use software RAID some more.

Having so much processing power available with multi-core Opterons, I really hesitate to go and blow extra money on hardware RAID with features I barely use.

Nicholas P. Mueller