Re: How to install nvidia driver

Hi!
I can't do:
* "dpkg -i nvidia-set*"
Because I didn't get any nvidia-set*.
Is this a problem?

On 11/17/05, Jo Shields <Jo.Shields@comlab.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
Graham Smith wrote:

>On Sunday 13 November 2005 00:30, Alan Ianson wrote:
>

>>On Sat November 12 2005 04:01 pm, Stefan Salewski wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>next week I will try to install debian-amd64 on a new computer
>>>with a nvidia graphic card (7800GTX).
>>>
>>>I don't really like these closed source drivers from ati and
>>>nvidia, but I think I have to use it.
>>>
>>>I have just done some google search about debian and nvidia
>>>drivers. Some people recommend not to install the nvidia way,
>>>but to use the debian way. I found only one detailed explanation
>>>about how to do it:
>>>
>>> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html
>>>
>>>This tutorial is very nice, but I am not sure if it is an
>>>official debian recommendation and if it will work for AMD64
>>>too.
>>>
>>>Can you comment on this? Are there other tutorials around? Will I
>>>have only textmode available until I install the nvidia driver,
>>>or will the X-Org driver give me  an unaccelerated graphical
>>>display?
>>>

>>You can use the "nv" driver in the mean time. That's what I have been using
>>here and it works fine. I don't know for sure what the difference is but I
>>think if you want 3D acceleration (for gaming) you may need the nvidia
>>drivers. I've been trying to get them installed too, so I'll be watching
>>this thread.
>>

>The difference, at least to my eyes, is much better font rendering and a
>generally over all shaper image with the nvidia drivers compared to nv. I
>didn't realize that a driver could make so much difference but switching to
>nvidia after using nv for a while was like getting a new monitor.
>
>Having said that I can't get the nvidia drivers to work with 2.6.14 but they
>work fine with 2.6.12.
>
>Graham

2.6.14 requires newer drivers than those in sarge or sid:

* add "deb-src http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian experimental main contrib
non-free" to /etc/apt/sources.list
* go to a new empty folder
* "apt-get update"
* "apt-get source -t experimental nvidia-glx"
* "apt-get build-dep nvidia-glx"
* "cd nvidia*"
* "dpkg-buildpackage"
* "cd .."
* "dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-source*"
* "apt-get install module-assistant build-essential"
* "cat /proc/version" - make sure your kernel's gcc is installed (e.g.
gcc-3.4 must be installed if your kernel was compiled with gcc 3.4.x)
* "wget
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/n/nvidia-kernel-common/nvidia-kernel-common_20051028+1_all.deb"
* "dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-common*"
* "m-a a-i nvidia"
* "dpkg -i nvidia-glx_*"
* "dpkg -i nvidia-glx-i*"
* "dpkg -i nvidia-set*"

Change your X server as per usual. I think some people make their
generated packages available on the web.

--Jo Shields