Re: How to install nvidia driver

On Sat November 12 2005 04:01 pm, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> next week I will try to install debian-amd64 on a new computer
> with a nvidia graphic card (7800GTX).
>
> I don't really like these closed source drivers from ati and
> nvidia, but I think I have to use it.
>
> I have just done some google search about debian and nvidia
> drivers. Some people recommend not to install the nvidia way,
> but to use the debian way. I found only one detailed explanation
> about how to do it:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html
>
> This tutorial is very nice, but I am not sure if it is an
> official debian recommendation and if it will work for AMD64
> too.
>
> Can you comment on this? Are there other tutorials around? Will I
> have only textmode available until I install the nvidia driver,
> or will the X-Org driver give me  an unaccelerated graphical
> display?

You can use the "nv" driver in the mean time. That's what I have been using
here and it works fine. I don't know for sure what the difference is but I
think if you want 3D acceleration (for gaming) you may need the nvidia
drivers. I've been trying to get them installed too, so I'll be watching this
thread.