gtk/gnome problem?

After an  apt-get upgrade about 10 to  15 days back, I  note that xmms
and cycle do not display text  in dialogs (like `open file' dialog and
error  messages),  and sometimes,  does  not  accept  input (open  the
selected files, cycle does not accept password, etc.)

Since the  problem does not  appear to be application  specific, where
should I look into?

Is this  related to  LANG* environment variables?   I use  en_IN.  (It
should  not  be  -  becaus  if  if the  message  files  for  the  LANG
environment  are  not found,  the  application  should  revert to  the
default messages).

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com
``Open source'' stresses the technical side of the