Re: udev @ (kernel 2.6.12 + NVidia) = KDM failure on first start

Kirill Belokurov wrote:

The most interesting is that if I will start the kdm manually
via /etc/init.d/kdm start  -- it starts fine.

If I remove the 'udev' - everything  works fine.
Is nvidia module autoloaded on startup? If not, you need to append "nvidia"
to the end of /etc/modules

No, it was not autoloaded on startup. Appending the "nvidia" to /etc/modules resolved the issues. Although it is a bit strange, why this became necessary, because with kernel 2.6.11 and without udev it worked without "nvidia".

Thanks for idea :)

wbr, Kirill.

When X[org|free86] tries to load the nvidia driver, the driver needs to use /dev/nvidiactl to speak to the card. On a non-udev system, this device node is persistant, and any attempts by anything to access the node causes nvidia.ko to be autoloaded. On udev, the contents of /dev are created based on /sys - no nvidia entries in /sys, no nvidia entries made in /dev. Forcing nvidia to load on boot means the device nodes are made by udev, before Xwhatever tries to use them

--Jo Shields