Re: Debian AMD64 Archive Move

Ed Cogburn wrote:

>If you had read my response to Goswin, you would know we aren't talking about
>release dates for anything, I'm talking about Sid, which will eventually
>become Etch, but obviously will exist for a long time before Etch does.  :)
>The issue here is just the co-location of non-free and the AMD64 repository
>(whatever its called, wherever its located).  Those 2 will find themselves
>together again on debian.org long before Etch sees the light of day, but the
>point is there is no reason to separate them *now*.

If you are so certain that providing non-free amd64 from a non-debian
server will not pose any legal problems, and so determined that there
are packages (other than nvidia) in non-free that people actually want
to use, then why don't you host it yourself?  You can "apt-get source
-b" the source packages from ftp.debian.org, upload the amd64-compiled
.debs to any webserver you have access to, and get a script to generate
Packages.gz.

There is no "rational" reason why pure64 main and pure64 non-free need
to be on the same server.  By building and hosting the packages yourself
for the short time until amd64 gets into etch, you can solve your own
problem and help the community without putting the project at risk legally.

-- Alexander Rapp