Re: glibc regression on alpha with 2.34+

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 07:24:06PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> >> As a compromise, how about we fix the bug, create a final set of CD
> >> images for old Alphas, then raise the baseline after having verified
> >> it does not break QEMU (both -user and -system)?
> >
> > You fix the bug then.  I'm not interested so there is no "we" in this.
>
> Please don’t be so negative.
>
> We should be able to have a discussion on this topic without such sentiments.
>
> There are valid arguments for both sides, so it’s not helpful to lead a
> discussion like this.

I had wanted to do this years ago.  Every time I have raised it someone
has protested. The discussion has been had again and again and I am no
longer interested in it.  The result of the discussion is that it is I
who ends up fixing the problems arising from supporting EV4/EV45.

The bottom line is that I am not prepared to support EV4/EV45 anymore.
This is not being negative.  This is me being honest about the fact
that I have too limited time and many other projects that I want to
work on.

Either the arch baseline is raised to something that is easier to
maintain (which, frankly, I think is essential if the Alpha port is to
survive any longer), someone else steps up to fix the brokenness that
arises from non-atomic multi-cpu-instruction 8-bit and 16-bit memory
accesses, or I bail out of maintaining Debian-Ports Alpha.

Cheers,
Michael.