Re: [stable] aboot - support recent kernels, fix build issues

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Steve Langasek wrote:
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 01:18:52PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
I agree, and ideally the boot block would be written out with every
update of aboot. I don't feel comfortable making such a large
behavior change in etch, but I think it'd be great to see this happen
for lenny.

I believe that would make us the only bootloader package in the archive to
routinely make such a high-risk change at package install time.  I'm not
aware of any method for reliably detecting the boot device from inside the
running system on alpha.

It's been a while since I used lilo, but IIRC, every lilo upgrade, *and* every kernel upgrade (if lilo was installed) used to update the boot sector. It did ask for confirmation though. Doesn't lilo still do that?

I've been using grub since before it was a debian package, but even after it was a debian package, I remember specifically having to uninstall lilo so it wouldn't try to kill my boot sector.

But anyways, it seems pretty reasonable to me for the postinst script to actually upgrade the boot loader when you install a new version of the boot loader.

Ivan