Re: [stable] aboot - support recent kernels, fix build issues

-----Original Message-----
From: dann frazier <dannf@debian.org>
To: debian-release@lists.debian.org
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 02:56:32 -0600
Subject: [stable] aboot - support recent kernels, fix build issues

etch's aboot doesn't permit booting recent 2.6 kernels. While
backporting a fix for this issue, I ran into a couple of other build
issues that prevent etch's aboot from being rebuilt properly.

The proposed patch for this update and more detailed explanations are
available here:
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2008/05/msg00026.html

This package is currently orphaned, but the previous maintainer did
comment:
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2008/05/msg00027.html

Other than the testing I mentioned above, I've also had successful test
reports from Bdale and Tim Cutts (on albeniz.d.o, iirc).

This is obviously a requirement for alpha support in etchnhalf since
2.6.24 adds the ELF header incompatability. (Though releasing w/o
alpha support is an option as well).

--
dann frazier

--
Hi Dann,
The aboot in both lenny and sid work but it is just a matter of proper installation.

/dev/sda3              5156060    633116   4522944  13% /
tmpfs                    60464         0     60464   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                     10240       104     10136   2% /dev
tmpfs                    60464         0     60464   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda2                73202     21337     47959  31% /boot
/dev/sda7             26625460    781576  25843884   3% /home
/dev/sda6               385824      8500    377324   3% /tmp
/dev/sda4              2883640    384616   2352540  15% /var

If you think my downgrading to your aboot deb packages is safe then I will test it but please reply to me. You may do so off list if you prefer. However, I can confirm that the  aboot versions in testing and unstable do work fine.
>From /boot/ ( remember it is separate ext2 )
Use : "swriteboot -f1 /dev/sda bootlx"
special note : if you don't use the "-f1" switch it will fail.
If you can use lenny ( testing ) or sid ( unstable ) aboot source you might consider it. They work well. I would recommend using lenny or sid aboot.

By the way Dann, I see your patches for the 2.4 nubus ppc kernel so I know your work.

Take care,
Rodney Ross <rodross@myrealbox.com>