firefox-3.0.3 working on alphaev56

After a fashion, anyway...  The .mozconfig file is

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/firefox_obj
ac_add_options --disable-optimize
ac_add_options --enable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-tests

Compiler is gcc/g++-4.2.4-3, and binutils is 2.18.0.20080103.

Lots of noise (failed assertions, etc.), but the browser seems to be
working, even with libgcjwebplugin.so.  I guess the next step is to
try a build leaving optimization disabled, but disabling the debug code.
It's entirely possible we're fighting toolchain bugs, and compiler
optimizers ought to be regarded with suspicion anyway, right? :-)
The ld "relax" code on the Alpha is still broken, and in my research I
came across an apparently-related bug report concerning -fPIC not
enabling -mlarge-data as it should (the GPREL16 errors produced by ld
when building libxul.so).

Bob Tracy          |  "I was a beta tester for dirt.  They never did
rct@frus.com       |   get all the bugs out." - Steve McGrew on /.