Re: Requalification of Alpha for etch

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:26:18AM +0100, Tim Cutts wrote:

> On 9 Oct 2005, at 5:27 pm, Thimo Neubauer wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 11:04:40PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >
> >>Here are the things that are taken into consideration when the DSA
> >>folks
> >>evaluate a new buildd offer:
> >>
> >>- local admin is a DD (or other known quantity) who knows the
> >>architecture
> >>  *and* is available when maintenance is needed
> >>- the type of machine -- proc speed, bus speed, disk capacity,
> >>memory, and
> >>  whether the hardware is of a class that can actually handle
> >>sustained
> >>  uptimes as expected
> >>

> >A bit more detail about that: one CPU of a DS20E with lots of RAM is
> >enough to keep up with building. I guess another machine of about this
> >strength would be perfect.
>
> If we provide a DS20, it will be dual CPU, and will probably have 4
> GB of RAM or more.

Ok, that would perfectly match goedel (also dual, also 4G) :-) One
question though: the Symbios Logic 53c895 SCSI-controller in goedel
acts weird in SMP mode (tried some 2.4 and 2.6 kernels) which is why
the machine runs in single CPU mode all the time. Does it work for
you? Or do you have a different controller?

Ok, so I guess that your offer fits all conditions so I'd say that we
have a new local buildd admin :-) Any objection? Please speak

The next steps for the machine to become a buildd would be:

 * send "debian-admin" a mail that you're preparing a new machine as a
   buildd so that we can qualify for etch. Ask, who of the admins
   would like to get a superuser login.

 * install a fresh Sarge on the box, best with no real user so there
   won't be UID clashes

 * on goedel and escher there are "adminloginR"-accounts with uid 0 so
   that the Debian Admins can do whatever they want and you can keep
   being "root". If they tell you who will care for the start (I guess
   that'll be Joey) send him a GPG-crypted password

 * wait for a while (can be weeks)

You can of course choose a name but I'd recommend "bach". First, it
definitely fits the original naming scheme

  http://people.debian.org/~joey/misc/naming.html

of "classical composers (including baroque, romantics and
impressionists) of choir music" and secondly the Alpha machines would
form the "Goedel, Escher, Bach"-triple[1] :-)

Cheers
   Thimo

[1] from the very good book "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden
    Braid" by Douglas R. Hofstadter