Re: Installation on 164-SX

Hello,
On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 04:06:58PM -0300, ivan wrote:
> Hello all.
> I'm trying to install woody on a alpha SX164, but i still got no sucess. I
> can't boot from the cd with milo, when I load manually the kernel image
> the system hangs. I was hoping to be able to instal woody or sarge on this
> machine without removing the AlphaBIOS and using SRM. Is this possible?
> How?

Woody: It should be possible to use AlphaBIOS. Search the list for the
various download-locations of milos, if those provided by Debian do
not work. Still SRM is suggested.

Sarge/d-i: No one has stepped forward to develop/maintain the
installer for use with milos. So if you play around you might get it
working by odd chance (i.e., you know the manual steps at the right
point of time), but it is not expected to work. Either use SRM or
first install woody and then do a dist-upgrade.

What is the reason for not switching to SRM? Unsupported hardware?

Greetings

      Helge

--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de