Re: AS4100 + DAC960

On Thursday 20 November 2003 12:16 pm, Nathan Poznick wrote:
> Thus spake Andrew Lee:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have an AS4100 with a DAC960 firmware v2.73.
> >
> > I have installed debian to a single disk and all is fine. The DAC960 has
> > been configured from alphabios.
> >
> > On bootup from the single drive the DAC960 is detected and has all the
> > attached drives detected with no partitions defined.
> >
> > Here is where I need help to partition the drive. fdisk says /dev/rd/c0d0
> > "unable to open .." the boot process defines the array as /dev/rd/c0d0.
>
> You'll likely need to go over to the second virual console, and manually
> create the devices needed  (/dev/rd/c0d0, /dev/rd/c0d0p0 ...
> /dev/rd/c0d0pN, etc)

If the entries are missing you will need to add:

brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,   0 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d0
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,   1 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d0p1
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,   2 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d0p2
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,   3 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d0p3
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,   4 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d0p4
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,   5 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d0p5
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,   6 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d0p6
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,   7 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d0p7

brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,   8 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d1
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,   9 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d1p1
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,  10 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d1p2
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,  11 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d1p3
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,  12 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d1p4
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,  13 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d1p5
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,  14 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d1p6
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      48,  15 Jan 13  2003 /dev/rd/c0d1p7

etc, ...... depending upon the number of drives and partitions.

with a command like "mknod /dev/rd/c0d0 b 48 0", then double check the
permisions and fix them with chmod, if necessary.

The other issue that you could be seeing is the BSD label problem, that haunts
HDs on systems that previously ran Tru64.

I suspect if you would send the relevent snippet from you logs or dmesg, that
it would be easier to debug this issue.

Best Regards,

--George

Best Regards,