Re: java possible? and burner woes.

On Sun 04 Aug 2002, Richard Fillion wrote:

> At boot it complains once about the lack of the sg module.  I cant
> really have sg as a module if i boot of a scsi disk can i?  Why is it

Sure you can, sg is only needed if you have to talk in a "generic" way
to a scsi device (most common are burners and scanners).  What you need
in the kernel for booting off a scsi disk is de scsi adapter driver and
the sd (scsi disk) driver.

> that i cant burn a single disk on this box without it crashing? (i can
> burn using my 4x scsi burner but it crashes right after fixating the
> disk).  The crashes are weird, its like if it denies access to the scsi
> devices, cause i can move the mouse and stuff, but as soon as i cause it
> to look on the disk it halts.

Sorry, can't help there. I used to burn cdroms with a SCSI burner on
alpha without any trouble; never had any IDE on any of my alpha's
though.

Paul Slootman