Error configuring ssh (3.4p1-2) on Alpha

I recently switched several Unix machines from woody to sarge.  All went
well with the x86 boxes, but the Alpha had a problem with ssh.  The
error message (resulting from dpkg --configure ssh):

  Setting up ssh (3.4p1-2) ...
  Creating SSH2 RSA keydpkg: error processing ssh (--configure):

I'd be glad to try to get more information if someone can tell me what to do.

TIA,
--
The hardest years in life are those between 10 and 70
                      - Helen Hayes (at age 82).