sound configuration on woody

Hey guys,

It's getting there, I removed potato and installed woody which is quite
a bit nicer (I got KDE and Mozilla in the bundle). I'm running into
trouble with the sound card. I don't know what I should be using to
configure sound though because sndconfig doesn't seem to exist. When I
start X and KDE I get ".device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such
device)" . /dev/audio symlinks to /dev/dsp which is the bit it claims
doesn't exist. What is /dev/dsp? Everything else is running great, I'm
really impressed with the whole thing. There wasn't anything in the
installer to suggest that I was configuring sound so I reckon the reason
it doesn't work is that it's not configured. I just don't know what tool
I should be using to configure it. By the way I know /dev/dsp does exist
because I chmoded it to 666.  I've scoured the net and found lots of
guys on forums with the same problem but no answers.

<headscratch>The other thing that's odd is that the sound does work
outside of X like error beeps etc, they're coming from the speakers
connected to the sound card too not the internal speaker.</headscratch>

the system is a Digital Personal Workstation 433au (Alpha)

Any ideas?

/Rob