Re: mozilla on alpha - .deb hangs, self-compiled also faulty

"Dr. David Gilbert" wrote:

> Hi,
>   Mozilla 18-3 is a dead loss on Alpha; I'm running a Mozilla 19.5 build
> which is pretty good.  Problem is I'm not sure where I got it; I'm half
> thinking it is actually the Alpha RPM build off www.mozilla.org using
> Alien or just rpm itself.
>
> Dave
>
> --
> /------------------------------------------------------------------\
> | Dr. David Alan Gilbert |                                         |
> | -------- G7FHJ --------|---------------------------------------- |
> | Home: dave @ treblig.org          http://www.treblig.org         |
> \------------------------------------------------------------------/
>
> --

Agreed!  I never got Mozilla 18-3 to work here.

Here is a "gotcha" that I have run into, and have not been able to
solve.  Mozilla 0.9.X has introduced an automatic update feature, that
will pull down plug-ins, etc. from the web...usually from the Netscape
site.  It is not fully "automatic", in that it will notify you that you
need a certain plugin to view a page and asks if you want to install
it.  Here is the rub....plugins compiled for the Alpha don't seem to
exist, and the ones available don't work on the Alpha!.  This "update"
feature WILL pull down and install the existing i386 plugins without any
warning or complaint if you say "yes".

I ran into this when trying to access my Local Bank's website, which
makes extensive use of Java.  In order to run any Java stuff, it needs
the Java VM "plugin".  This plugin is NOT available with the Compaq JRE,
from what I can tell.  The i386-compiled plugins just don't work
here....

If you go the Debian "unstable" route, be sure to get the Mozilla-psm
package installed too.  It is needed for access to some of the sites
that use security methods...mainly in the Mozilla-Mail package.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-