on booting 2.4.0-test7

I finally had the opportunity to try the recently compiled 2.4.0-test7
kernel on one of our debian/alphas.  I compiled both a PC164 and
generic kernel.  My present 2.2.16 kernel is a PC164 as it should be.
I copied both kernels to separate diskettes for the test.

The PC164 kernel attempted to boot, but failed when it came to the
section where the ncr53c810 scsi card was initializing.  The system
hung at that point.

The generic kernel succeeding in booting, but the ethernet card would
not initialize.  Therefore, I did not test further and rebooted back
to 2.2.16.

Both kernels were configured with "make oldconfig" from the 2.2.16
configuration.  I can go back and examine the .config and make sure it
was consistently created.  I compiled the kernel with

make dep;make clean;make boot;make archdep;make boot

and there are no modules.  The image is considerably larger than the
2.2.16 image (1078434 versus 952934 bytes for the PC164 kernel).

I am disappointed, but I am not surprised.  I would like to hear from
anyone in this newsgroup on 2.4 kernel successes and any other tricks
we need to know to achieve success.

|James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.|Phone:  (865)576-8645  |   | L | A |
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory |FAX:    (865)574-9172  | H | I | L |
|Research Reactors Division    |work e-m: fea@ornl.gov | F | N | P |
|P. O. Box 2008                |home fea@ispchannel.com| I | U | H |
|Oak Ridge, TN. 37831-6392     |world's best neutrons  | R | X | A |