Re: anyone successful in compiling kernel 2.4.0-testx ?

Chris,

> In almost every instance, I've been unable to
> compile a 2.4.0-test kernel
> without making patches.  Honestly, I'm afraid to
> even look at the state of
> USB code WRT using on Alpha.  My experience with the
> kernel folk is
> quickly becoming sour again since it seems that even
> IA64 is getting more
> attention by kernel developers than any other
> platform.  I hate to say it,
> but it's getting back to the point where ports are
> second-class citizens
> in the kernel world again.  It's frustrating for
> those of us that are left
> to support the ports, but still a worthy project,
> IMO.  Not to get
> political, but I wish Linus and Alan would actually
> use the Alphas that
> have been given to them rather than letting them
> collect dust...

Slightly off-topic, but i'm a regular in #e on efnet,
and the attitude of developers towards non-intel
machines is pretty low. It does look like we need to
raise the profile of alpha's, and work with the teams
working on other archs to get a better deal.

IA64 - and how many people do they think will be able
to afford one of these when they come out? All that
effort for a platform that hasn't even been released
yet.

> Ok...frustration vented...
>
> Which test kernel are you trying and what error are
> you getting if you try
> to compile it "the old fashioned way"?  I can
> probably come up with a
> patch to at least get you through compilation (and
> most likely will get
> the kernel booting).  I still have some of my
> previous test patches, but I
> doubt they'll be much help at this point since most
> of the changes I made
> were already fixed upstream.

I have tried tests 4-7 and all of them have failed. To
be honest, I don't trust myself to compile and install
a kernel the non-debian way, so i'll wait until i can.

Robert