Re: anyone successful in compiling kernel 2.4.0-testx ?

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Robert Martinovic wrote:

> And this worked for you?  I have been unsuccessful in
> compiling every 2.4 test series kernel.  There are a
> few problems as I see it using the debian kernel
> package (which we are all meant to use :P )

The 2.4.0-test kernel series have rarely compiled for me, mostly due to
changes only being done on one arch rather than across the board.  I
haven't tried using make-kpkg (in the computer world, I'm an old dog and
have a hard time learning new tricks mid-stream :-P), but can look into
the problems once 2.4 goes stable.  Sorry I cannot assist in fixing that
at the moment, but system stability is paramount on my system right now
(where alot of the woody compilation occurs).

>  1. make-kpkg clean removes arch/alpha/vmlinux.lds,
> even if mach archdep makes it
>  2. removing 'rm -f arch/alpha/vmlinux.lds' from the
> makefile allows the compilation to proceed further,
> but it still fails

This seems like it should be easy to fix.  I'll look into it sooner than I
mentioned above since it seems like it should be trivial to fix.

> Any suggestions would be great since i have usb
> devices just begging to be used

In almost every instance, I've been unable to compile a 2.4.0-test kernel
without making patches.  Honestly, I'm afraid to even look at the state of
USB code WRT using on Alpha.  My experience with the kernel folk is
quickly becoming sour again since it seems that even IA64 is getting more
attention by kernel developers than any other platform.  I hate to say it,
but it's getting back to the point where ports are second-class citizens
in the kernel world again.  It's frustrating for those of us that are left
to support the ports, but still a worthy project, IMO.  Not to get
political, but I wish Linus and Alan would actually use the Alphas that
have been given to them rather than letting them collect dust...

Ok...frustration vented...

Which test kernel are you trying and what error are you getting if you try
to compile it "the old fashioned way"?  I can probably come up with a
patch to at least get you through compilation (and most likely will get
the kernel booting).  I still have some of my previous test patches, but I
doubt they'll be much help at this point since most of the changes I made
were already fixed upstream.