floppy disk

Hi all,

I'm having problems getting the floppy on my XL to work. I took it apart
before, and I completely took the cabling out and everything. The floppy
cable that's in there has a direction notch on it (so it's harder to put
it on wrong), but the floppy drive doesn't have a border around its
connector, so I can put the cable in either way.

When I put it in one way, the drive light never comes on at all.

When I put it in the other way, the drive light comes on when the system
boots up, and it stays on -- it never goes off.

In both cases, NT boots fine, I can log on etc. but I can never access the
floppy drive. It shows the thing as working properly in NT's device
thingy, and in the ARC console it detects it as a removable drive either
way I put the cable.

My guess is that the drive's bad, but maybe it's the floppy controller? I
don't know-- anyone with experience in this type of thing?

Oh, and I tried it with another floppy cable from an old PC as well.

-Andy