Re: cdrecord: Invalid argument. shmget failed

Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Roland Rosenfeld <roland@spinnaker.de> writes:
>
> > Roland Rosenfeld <roland@spinnaker.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Did anybody try out to burn a CD using cdrecord on an alpha?
> >
> > Okay, please forget my previous message (where is the cancel mechanism
> > for mailing lists?), I found out the answer myself (had to recompile
> > the kernel with SHMMAX 0x1000000 in include/asm-alpha/shmparam.h).
>
> Does anybody know why this limit is so low for Alpha? If not, I'll
> file a bug report against the kernel.
>
> 	Falk

The number of bits for the shm is the leftover after some other relevant
bit numbers are substracted from the number of bits of an adress, which is
of cause allways 32 as everyone knows. Because on alpha more bits are used
for other purposes, less of the 32 bit are left for shm.

At least it was that way last time I loked at it.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin

PS: Are there any problems known when compiling the latest kernels with a
fairly recent gcc? Mine don't want to boot at all. I wondering whether its
gcc or milo (which is pretty old on my Alpha).