Re: upgrading multia udb to potato

From: elyograg <elyograg@wolsi.com>

> I have a Multia UDB here that is running slink.  I'd like to be able
> to run ssh and some of the other non-US programs on it, but there is
> no 'binary-alpha' directory.

> I had the bright idea of trying to compile ssh myself, but it seems
> that I need libraries that aren't available either.  So, I need to
> upgrade to potato so I can run SSL-enabled programs.

You can compile gmp and pam for slink or just try the potato versions.

> Last time I tried to update my system to potato, the clock went all
> screwy on me, and I had to wipe and reinstall slink.  I upgraded to
> potato before I had the 2.2 kernel installed.  I also had to use a
> different MILO than the one included on the boot diskette for slink.

> My question boils down to this: What do I need to do to make sure
> that the clock continues to work right, and doesn't decide it's
> January 1970?  Should I make sure I have a certain version of MILO,
> or did my previous problem come from using potato binaries with the
> 2.0.36 stock kernel?

Your clock should be fine with newer kernels (watch the realtime clock
during kernel config). Otherwise you can grab the correct time upon
boot va ssh or a timeserver from another maschine as i do on my ruffian.

May the Source be with you.
                        Goswin