Re: hopefully not too far off topic--hard drive problems

- <croooow@rewmsaq.dyn.ml.org> writes:

> I've got a Multia and an old Seagate 11200ND scsi-2 drive in it, and i'm
> having an annoying recurring problem where upon booting the kernel and
> detecting the scsi devices, i get this feedback:
>
> ncr53c810-0: ID 7, Fast-10, Parity Checking
> ncr53c810-0: Suspicious SCSI data while resetting the BUS.
> ncr53c810-0: dp0,d7-0,rst,req,ack,bsy,sel,atn,msg,c/d,i/o = 0x309,
> expecting 0x100
> ncr53c810-0: FATAL ERROR: CHECK SCSI BUS - CABLES, TERMINATOR, DEVICE
> POWER etc.!
> ncr53c810-0: detaching...
>
> I've tried messing with the cables and the only changes i can affect are
> even more negative ones, and I'm out of ideas other than the drive or
> cables may be bad.  I don't have another system i can test the drive
> in, either...
>

> input is appreciated :)

Try to set all drives to asynchron. You can do that during compilation
or with bootparameters. Have a look at the help for the ncr53c8xx
driver (bsd version) during kernel config. There it describes how to
specify bootparameters.

Selecting asynchron for the drives is the most secure method. Also try
to disable command queeing, since that might fail as well.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin