AbiWord on Linux Alpha

Thanks to the very generous donation of Brian Wood, AbiSource
now has an Alpha build machine for testing and development.
I'm happy to say that the patches to correctly address GTK
menus have been applied to the CVS tree here, and AbiWord works
on the Alpha again!

You can check out the latest snapshot of AbiWord sometime after
midnight tonight, when the CVS source gets pushed over to the
anonymous tree.  We don't have tarballs ready right now, but
since we have a machine to do continuous testing, our upcoming
efforts should be completely Alpha friendly.

And BTW, I built 2.1.129 for the Alpha, and it seems to work...
all except there's no console.  The 2.0.34 kernel I had (from
the Debian distro) worked nice but felt a bit slow.  The new
2.1.129 is pretty stock, including SCSI drivers for this
machine (Multia 233) and the Digital ethernet card, but
the console never shows on boot.  The machine works fine otherwise
(over the network).

I've enabled the VGA console, not the framebuffer, and I have
turned off the "serial console" option, although serial
support is compiled in.

--
Shaw Terwilliger (twig@advancenet.net sterwill@abisource.com)