Re: Install problem

On Tue 30 Jun 1998, Brett_A._Letner@notes.up.com wrote:

> I'm attempting to install hamm on my UDB (multia).  Everything is fine
> until I get to the 'install the kernel and modules' step.  It prompts me to
> insert the rescue disk, then I get the following:
>
> VFS: can't find a valid MSDOS filesystem on dev 02:00
>
> I used rawrite2.exe to write resc1440.bin to a floppy as in the nano howto,
> so it seems to me that the install should be looking for a linux filesystem
> on the floppy instead of DOS (isn't that the point of rawrite?).  I'm

No, it is in fact a DOS floppy. This makes it possible e.g. for the ARC
BIOS to load MILO from it.  The point of rawrite is that you have one
single file that works (or at least it should), and that it's simple to
write this single file in one go to floppy. It guarantees that all users
will have exactly the same floppy, save hardware / transmission /
whatever problems.

Could you check the floppy on a DOS system? "chkdsk" or whatever it's
called. Hmm, I think you could use "scandisk" to check the floppy for
bad sectors as well.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl