Install problem

I'm attempting to install hamm on my UDB (multia).  Everything is fine
until I get to the 'install the kernel and modules' step.  It prompts me to
insert the rescue disk, then I get the following:

VFS: can't find a valid MSDOS filesystem on dev 02:00

I used rawrite2.exe to write resc1440.bin to a floppy as in the nano howto,
so it seems to me that the install should be looking for a linux filesystem
on the floppy instead of DOS (isn't that the point of rawrite?).  I'm
basically a newbie here (had a friend install Redhat on my alpha) so any
help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,

Brett