problems with AMANDA on Linux/Alpha 2.1.103

This problem is specific to AMANDA on the DEC-Alpha under Linux OS.
under kernel 2.1.103.  I found that the problem did not exist under
the stable kernel version 2.0.34.  I suspect that any kernel version
greater than 2.1.103 (or perhaps earlier also) will also still have
this problem.  I am running 2.4.0 of AMANDA on all Linux machines and
2.4.0p1 on all non-Linux machines.  v 2.4.0 would not compile
correctly on my Intel-Linux machines.

The 2.1.103 problem with AMANDA has the following symptoms:

* receive the error message in the summary mail file at the end of all
processing

  taper: FATAL shmget: Function not implemented.

* I believe that this message is the cause of the failure of the
entire job (will not write to tape)

* the amcheck output appears correct

* the sendsize.debug appears fine and returns the correct values

* the error messages also indicate that the holding disk was the
problem, however, when the job is rerun with holding disk enabled, it
still fails, but does create an output file in the holding disk area

* when amflush is attempted to process the holding disk file, this
also fails.

All of these problems go away under the 2.0.34 kernel on Alpha.
Therefore, I think the problem is unique to the 2.1.103 kernel (and
earlier/later kernels)

P.S.  The 2.1.xxx kernels are prefered because they allow me to mount
the DEC-Unix UFS partitions (read-only).  This inturn allows for the
recovery of the AMANDA server jobs run under DEC-Unix during the times
when Linux is not running.

|James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D. |Phone:  (423)576-8645 |   | L | A |
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory  |FAX:    (423)574-9172 | H | I | L |
|Research Reactors Division     |work e-m: fea@ornl.gov| F | N | P |
|P. O. Box 2008                 |home e-m: fea@icx.net | I | U | H |
|Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392|world's best neutrons | R | X | A |