network problem: me or problem with tulip/unaligned trap?

I am in the process of bootstrapping hamm onto a 300 MHz AlphaBIOS system.
The booting is working correctly using the latest kernel and ramdisk and
base dists from the previous month.  I am getting unaligned trap errors:

kernel: unaligned trap at fffffc0000366294: fffffc0001c2283e 28 2
three more lines much the same I can copy them manually if needed

I have heard this problem my be related to the tulip chipset ethernet
cards, which I expect I have since my system came straight from DEC, and I
always see these errors when I telnet from my alpha system up to my intel
system, which is my internet gateway.  I had hoped to fix these problems
bye ftp upgrading and compiling myself a new kernel, but ncftp doesn't
seem to follow symbolic links, so I need to get from the alpha system to
the whole internet.  The names of the systems in /etc/hosts are beleriand
for the intel system and anorien for the alpha.  They have addresses
192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, respectively.  The commands I have been using
are:

On intel gateway:  	pon
			ifconfig eth0
			route add anorien

On alpha system: 	ifconfig eth0
			route add beleriand
			route add default gw beleriand

When I issue the command to add the default gatewey it either hangs
immediately or does so when the next netstat -r command is issued, though
it can be killed with ^C.  I still am unable to reach addresses ouside the
local network.  Actually all I can do is telnet from anorien to beleriand,
(I expect the base alpha install doesn't have a telnet server) and that
only if I use the sysbolic name and not the number. Every number that I
try telneting to, including 192.168.1.1 (the address of beleriand)  and
127.0.0.1 respond with:

Trying 8.118.17.32...

and hangs.

I can ping to beleriand by number, but trying outside IP addresses results
in 100% packet loss reported.

Anyone have any ideas what is best to try?  If you need more information
just ask.

Britton Kerin
__
GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."