Re: Base packages uploaded

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Guenter Geiger wrote:
> Somehow the new bash seems to be broken (regarding backspace).

Don't be so sure.

A week or two ago, I noticed that my backspace in bash wasn't working the way
I expected -- it deleted the character to the right instead of to the left.

I've got X resources set such that when the "BackSpace" keysym is sent to my
xterm, a "delete" is what's passed through to the shell.  I did this for the
sake of emacs, so backspace wouldn't bring up the help system anymore.
However, it means my configuration deviates from a *standard* xterm.

If you leave the BackSpace keysym alone, bash under xterm works fine.

Furthermore , if you set your TERM environment variable to "vt100" instead of
"xterm", and exec bash again, BackSpace works fine even if the keysym is
mapped to delete (ie. delete nukes the char to the left instead of to the
right).

I find this very annoying.  However, I'm guessing the bash authors consider it
desirable behavior.  I don't think it's a bug, just a UI change that I don't
like.

--
Doug DeJulio                         | mailto:ddj@aisb.org
Ancient Illuminated Seers of Bavaria | http://www.aisb.org/~ddj/